As a web developer, one is responsible for designing, creating and maintaining websites. Web developer has the opportunity to combine a wide variety of artistic and technical skills to produce and manage user-friendly and well-known websites for their clients.
In order to earn a high-paid web developer career, one should opt or possess most, if not all of the below:
- Enroll in at least one of these essential degrees which can lead to careers in web design such as fine arts, graphic design, computer science and other related fields.
- All web designers must have an interest in the internet and a basic knowledge of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), the basic language of the internet.
Technical knowledge is essential. Some commonly required skills include:
- HTML/XHTML and CSS
- Computer graphics design programs such as Paint Shop Pro and Adobe™ Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and Photoshop programs.
- C, C++, C#
- Some web designers wish to complete a B.S. in computer science in order to master their chosen languages and learn the theory behind how computer technology works. This is important for managing of larger websites, which directly lead to heavier responsibility and eventually of better career prospect.
- High Paid web developers combine a variety of technical and artistic disciplines and skill to create a website that is navigable, easy to use, and communicates ideas with the greatest of ease.
- A great web developer must have expertise in computer graphics packages such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Paint Shop Pro as well as knowledge of Flash, XML-based web applications and programming, XHTML programming, and other web development languages and technologies.
- The Web developer should be comfortable working with a variety of operating systems such as Windows, Macintosh, and Unix. He must constantly stay abreast of new developments in graphics software packages, World Wide Web and related technologies.
- The web designer’s work with a client or web producer to develop and refine ideas, they must have strong verbal and visual communications skills. A designer has to be able to work well under the pressure of tight deadlines and frequent changing demands.
- A potential web developer must be familiar with issues of browser/server compatibility, including which browsers and servers work well together and which ones do not.
- The web developer must constantly develop new ideas, new concepts, and respond swiftly with the changing needs in this Industry. This may involve working long and irregular hours to meet tight deadlines or to accommodate for some last minute changes which are requested by the customers.
The number of employment opportunities for web designers is expected to grow rapidly in the next five years. A top web designer can easily earn salaries of over $80,000 – $100,000 a year.